Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Adjective]: of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin; "a great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
2. [Adjective]: being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light; "black leather jackets"; "as black as coal"; "rich black soil"
3. [Noun]: black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning); "the widow wore black"
4. [Noun]: the quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white)
5. [Noun]: popular child actress of the 1930''s (born 1927)
6. [Noun]: total absence of light; "they fumbled around in total darkness"; "in the black of night"
8. [Noun]: a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
9. [Noun]: British chemist who identified carbon dioxide and who formulated the concepts of specific heat and latent heat (1728-1799)
10. soiled with dirt or soot; "with feet black from playing outdoors"; "his shirt was black within an hour"
11. (of coffee) without cream or sugar
12. stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable; "black deeds"; "a black lie"; "his black heart has concocted yet another black deed"; "Darth Vader of the dark side"; "a dark purpose"; "dark undercurrents of ethnic hostility"; "the sc
13. offering little or no hope; "the future looked black"; "prospects were bleak"; "Life in the Aran Islands has always been bleak and difficult"- J.M.Synge; "took a dim view of things"
15. marked by anger or resentment or hostility; "black looks"; "black words"
16. extremely dark; "a black moonless night"; "through the pitch-black woods"; "it was pitch-dark in the celler"
17. (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood; "a face black with fury"
18. dressed in black; "a black knight"; "black friars"
19. (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin; "the stock market crashed on Black Friday"; "a calamitous defeat"; "the battle was a disastrous end to a disastrous campaign"; "such doctrines, if true, would be absolutely fata
20. (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame; "Man...has written one of his blackest records as a destroyer on the oceanic islands"- Rachel Carson; "an ignominious retreat"; "inglorious defeat"; "an opprobrious monument to human
21. distributed or sold illicitly; "the black economy pays no taxes"
22. harshly ironic or sinister; "black humor"; "a grim joke"; "grim laughter"; "fun ranging from slapstick clowning ... to savage mordant wit"
23. [Verb]: make or become black; "The smoke blackened the ceiling"; "The ceiling blackened"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!
Your percentage for the test can be checked against the level at https://english4today.com/tests/
Please register or login for the STANDARD TEST plus CERTIFICATE. Your first and family names are used to complete the certificate information. Your email address is required to validate your registration and to send you the full test results.