Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Adjective]: of no special distinction or quality; widely known or commonly encountered; average or ordinary or usual; "the common man"; "a common sailor"; "the common cold"; "a common nuisance"; "followed common procedure"; "it is common knowledge that she lives alon
2. [Adjective]: belonging to or participated in by a community as a whole; public; "for the common good"; "common lands are set aside for use by all members of a community"
3. [Noun]: a piece of open land for recreational use in an urban area; "they went for a walk in the park"
4. common to or shared by two or more parties; "a common friend"; "the mutual interests of management and labor"
5. lacking refinement or cultivation or taste; "he had coarse manners but a first-rate mind"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "an untutored and uncouth human being"; "an uncouth soldier--a real tough guy"; "appealing to the vulgar taste for violence";
6. to be expected; standard; "common decency"
7. of or associated with the great masses of people; "the common people in those days suffered greatly"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "his square plebeian nose"; "a vulgar and objectionable person"; "the unwashed masses"
8. being or characteristic of or appropriate to everyday language; "common parlance"; "a vernacular term"; "vernacular speakers"; "the vulgar tongue of the masses"; "the technical and vulgar names for an animal species"
9. commonly encountered; "a common (or familiar) complaint"; "the usual greeting"
10. of low or inferior quality or value; "of what coarse metal ye are molded"- Shakespeare; "produced...the common cloths used by the poorer population"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!