Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Adjective]: being in accord with established forms and conventions and requirements (as e.g. of formal dress); "pay one''s formal respects"; "formal dress"; "a formal ball"; "the requirement was only formal and often ignored"; "a formal education"
2. [Adjective]: (of spoken and written language) adhering to traditional standards of correctness and without casual, contracted, and colloquial forms; "the paper was written in formal English"
3. refined or imposing in manner or appearance; befitting a royal court; "a courtly gentleman"
4. logically deductive; "formal proof"
5. characteristic of or befitting a person in authority; "formal duties"; "an official banquet"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!