Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Adjective]: not in good physical or mental health; "ill from the monotony of his suffering"
2. [Noun]: an often persistent bodily disorder or disease; a cause for complaining
3. [Adverb]: (`ill'' is often used as a combining form) in a poor or improper or unsatisfactory manner; not well; "he was ill prepared"; "it ill befits a man to betray old friends"; "the car runs badly"; "he performed badly on the exam"; "the team played poorly"; "ill
4. [Adverb]: unfavorably or with disapproval; "tried not to speak ill of the dead"; "thought badly of him for his lack of concern"
5. [Adverb]: with difficulty or inconvenience; scarcely or hardly; "we can ill afford to buy a new car just now"
6. indicating hostility or enmity; "you certainly did me an ill turn"; "ill feelings"; "ill will"
7. presaging ill-fortune; "ill omens"; "ill predictions"; "my words with inauspicious thunderings shook heaven"- P.B.Shelley; "a dead and ominous silence prevailed"; "a by-election at a time highly unpropitious for the Government"
8. resulting in suffering or adversity; "ill effects"; "it''s an ill wind that blows no good"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!
Your percentage for the test can be checked against the level at https://english4today.com/tests/
Please register or login for the STANDARD TEST plus CERTIFICATE. Your first and family names are used to complete the certificate information. Your email address is required to validate your registration and to send you the full test results.