Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Adjective]: not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances; "near neighbors"; "in the near future"; "they are near equals"; "his nearest approach to success"; "a very near thing"; "a near hit by the bomb"; "she was near tears"; "she was close to tears";
3. [Adverb]: near in time or place or relationship; "as the wedding day drew near"; "stood near the door"; "don''t shoot until they come near"; "getting near to the true explanation"; "her mother is always near"; "The end draws nigh"; "the bullet didn''t come close";
4. very close in resemblance; "sketched in an approximate likeness"; "a near likeness"
5. giving or spending with reluctance; "our cheeseparing administration"; "very close (or near) with his money"; "a penny-pinching miserly old man"
6. with or in a close or intimate relationship; "a good friend"; "my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
7. closely resembling the genuine article; "near beer"; "a dress of near satin"
8. [Verb]: move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!
Your percentage for the test can be checked against the level at https://english4today.com/tests/
Please register or login for the STANDARD TEST plus CERTIFICATE. Your first and family names are used to complete the certificate information. Your email address is required to validate your registration and to send you the full test results.