Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Noun]: the body of members of an organization or group; "they polled their membership"; "they found dissension in their own ranks"; "he joined the ranks of the unemployed"
2. [Noun]: position in a social hierarchy; "the British are more aware of social status than Americans are"
3. [Noun]: the ordinary members of an organization (such as the enlisted soldiers of an army); "the strike was supported by the union rank and file"; "he rose from the ranks to become a colonel"
4. [Noun]: a row or line of people (especially soldiers or police) standing abreast of one another; "the entrance was guarded by ranks of policemen"
5. [Noun]: relative status; "his salary was determined by his rank and seniority"
6. growing profusely; "rank jungle vegetation"
7. very fertile; producing profuse growth; "rank earth"
8. conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible; "a crying shame"; "an egregious lie"; "flagrant violation of human rights"; "a glaring error"; "gross ineptitude"; "gross injustice"; "rank treachery"
9. very offensive in smell or taste; "a rank cigar"
10. [Verb]: assign a rank or rating to; "how would you rank these students?"; "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
11. [Verb]: take precedence or surpass others in rank
12. [Verb]: take or have a position relative to others; "This painting ranks among the best in the Western World"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!
Your percentage for the test can be checked against the level at https://english4today.com/tests/
Please register or login for the STANDARD TEST plus CERTIFICATE. Your first and family names are used to complete the certificate information. Your email address is required to validate your registration and to send you the full test results.