Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Adjective]: financially secure and safe; "sound investments"; "a sound economy"
2. [Adjective]: in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay; "a sound timber"; "the wall is sound"; "a sound foundation"
3. [Noun]: the subjective sensation of hearing something; "he strained to hear the faint sounds"
4. [Noun]: (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
5. [Noun]: a large ocean inlet or deep bay; "the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
6. [Noun]: mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium; "falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
7. [Noun]: the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause; "the sound of rain on the roof"; "the beautiful sound of music"
8. [Noun]: the audible part of a transmitted signal; "they always raise the audio for commercials"
9. [Noun]: the sudden occurrence of an audible event; "the sound awakened them"
10. [Noun]: a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
11. [Adverb]: deeply or completely; "slept soundly through the storm"; "is sound asleep"
12. (of sleep) deep and complete; "a heavy sleep"; "fell into a profound sleep"; "a sound sleeper"; "deep wakeless sleep"
13. exercising or showing good judgment; "healthy scepticism"; "a healthy fear of rattlesnakes"; "the healthy attitude of French laws"; "healthy relations between labor and management"; "an intelligent solution"; "a sound approach to the problem"; "sound advi
14. having legal efficacy or force; "a sound title to the property"
15. thorough; "a sound thrashing"
16. in excellent physical condition; "good teeth"; "I still have one good leg"; "a sound mind in a sound body"
17. free from moral defect; "a man of sound character"
18. reflects weight of sound argument or evidence; "a sound argument"
19. [Verb]: make a certain noise or sound; "She went `Mmmmm''"; "The gun went `bang''"
20. [Verb]: announce by means of a sound; "sound the alarm"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!
Your percentage for the test can be checked against the level at https://english4today.com/tests/
Please register or login for the STANDARD TEST plus CERTIFICATE. Your first and family names are used to complete the certificate information. Your email address is required to validate your registration and to send you the full test results.