Search and save vocabulary to your My Vocab lists!
1. [Noun]: the upper part of anything; "the mower cuts off the tops of the grass"; "the title should be written at the top of the first page"
2. [Noun]: the first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat; "a relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
3. [Noun]: a garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips; "he stared as she buttoned her top"
4. [Noun]: a conical child''s plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin; "he got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
5. [Noun]: the greatest possible intensity; "he screamed at the top of his lungs"
6. [Noun]: the highest or uppermost side of anything; "put your books on top of the desk"; "only the top side of the box was painted"
7. [Noun]: the highest level or degree attainable; "his landscapes were deemed the acme of beauty"; "the artist''s gifts are at their acme"; "at the height of her career"; "the peak of perfection"; "summer was at its peak"; "...catapulted Einstein to the pinnacle of
8. [Noun]: a canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance; "he was afraid of a fire in the circus tent"; "they had the big top up in less than an hour"
9. [Noun]: covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container); "he removed the top of the carton"; "he couldn''t get the top off of the bottle"; "put the cover back on the kettle"
10. [Noun]: platform surrounding the head of a lower mast
11. [Noun]: the top point of a mountain or hill; "the view from the peak was magnificent"; "they clambered to the summit of Monadnock"
12. not to be surpassed; "his top effort"
13. [Verb]: be the culminating event; "The speech crowned the meeting"
14. [Verb]: strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin
15. [Verb]: pass by, over, or under without making contact; "the balloon cleared the tree tops"
16. [Verb]: go beyond; "She exceeded our expectations"; "She topped her performance of last year"
17. [Verb]: be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point; "A star tops the Christmas Tree"
18. [Verb]: finish up or conclude; "They topped off their dinner with a cognac"; "top the evening with champagne"
19. [Verb]: cut the top off; "top trees and bushes"
20. [Verb]: reach or ascend the top of; "The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
21. [Verb]: provide with a top; "the towers were topped with conical roofs"
22. [Verb]: be ahead of others; be the first; "she topped her class every year"
Get immediate access to grammar tests, quizzes, exercises, pronuciation practice, vocabulary building, courses, and an online community all wanting to improve their English and help you improve yours! Standard membership is FREE!!
Your percentage for the test can be checked against the level at https://english4today.com/tests/
Please register or login for the STANDARD TEST plus CERTIFICATE. Your first and family names are used to complete the certificate information. Your email address is required to validate your registration and to send you the full test results.