Forming noun plurals video
Forming the plural of nouns
Some useful rules for forming the plural of nouns in English. Part of the English4.today Quick Tip Video series.
The plural form of a noun indicates more than one.
- The plural form is usually formed by adding an s or es.
- Nouns that end in a consonant followed by a y are made plural by dropping the y and adding ies.
- Nouns that end in a vowel followed by a y are made plural by adding s.
- Nouns that end in f or fe drop the f or fe and add ves.
- Some irregular nouns have special plural forms.