Forming the plural of nouns
Some useful rules for forming the plural of nouns in English. Part of the English4.today Quick Tip Video series.
The plural form of a noun indicates more than one.
- The plural form is usually formed by adding an s or es.
- Nouns that end in a consonant followed by a y are made plural by dropping the y and adding ies.
- Nouns that end in a vowel followed by a y are made plural by adding s.
- Nouns that end in f or fe drop the f or fe and add ves.
- Some irregular nouns have special plural forms.