COMPARISONS OF QUANTITY
The rule is:
MORE + nouns that are countable or uncountable
FEWER + countable nouns
LESS + uncountable nouns
With countable nouns: more / fewer
- Eloise has more children than Chantal.
- Chantal has fewer children than Eloise.
- There are fewer dogs in Cardiff than in Bristol
- I have visited fewer countries than my friend has.
- He has read fewer books than she has.
With uncountable nouns: more / less
- Eloise has more money than Chantal.
- Chantal has less money than Eloise.
- I spend less time on homework than you do.
- Cats drink less water than dogs.
- This new dictionary gives more information than the old one.