VERBS NORMALLY FOLLOWED BY THE INFINITIVE
A. The to-infinitive is used after the verbs in this group, without a preceding noun. The verbs marked * can also be followed by a ‘that-clause‘
to see you next week.
that I’ll see you next week
List of verbs normally followed by the infinitive
1 These verbs can only be followed by a ‘that-clause’ when they have the subject ‘it’.
- It appeared that no-one had locked the door.
- He claimed to be an expert.
- I managed to reach the top of the hill.
- I know you’re only pretending to love me!
- Don’t pretend that you know the answer.
- She failed to explain the problem clearly.
- The customs man demanded to search our luggage.
- I can’t afford to go out tonight.