10 Hindi words used in English
English has borrowed words from many languages including French, German, Italian, Latin, Spanish, Chinese and Hindi.
Here are 10 Hindi words commonly used in English.
- Jungle : from Hindi jangal a wasteland
- Thug : from Hindi thag meaning a thief or robber
- Loot : from Hindi lut meaning to steal
- Dinghy : from the Hindi dingiya meaning a small rowing boat
- Pyjama : from the Hindi payajama meaning a pair of light, comfortable trousers
- Cashmere : from the Hindi Kashmir – the region where the Cashmere goat was found
- Chutney : from the Hindi chatni meaning to lick and refering to a pickled condiment usually used with curries.
- Shampoo : from the Hindi champo to squeeze or massage
- Cot : from the Hindi khat or khatwa meaning a bed
- Bungalow : from the Hindi bangla meaning houses built in the style of Bengal
Do you know of any others? Write them down in the comments sections below.